Info-3b2 Digest, Number 29

Info-3b2 Mailing List info-3b2 at lamc
Sat Oct 22 08:52:39 AEST 1988

                           Info-3b2 Digest, Number 29

                           Friday, October 21st 1988

Today's Topics:

                         Re: Info-3b2 Digest, Number 26
                              Re: various 3B2 stuff
                                     Delays

Subject: Re: Info-3b2 Digest, Number 26
Date: 21 Oct 88 04:18:17 GMT
From: !les at chinet.chi.il.us

In article <340 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I've run into the problem that rn won't work over a STARlan network
>also.  I can invoke it and it shows the first screen, but then it
>freezes.  Anyone have a clue or a fix?  Vnews and readnews don't seem to
>have this problems.

I ran across this problem with GNU emacs also.  Starlan on the 3B2 is a
STREAMS device and if a non-blocking read is done by setting O_NDELAY
if no data is present the read will return -1 where a tty device will
return 0 (this is true even when the pseudo-tty emulator is pushed on
the stream by the login mechanism).  Check for places that take the
value returned from read() as the number of characters read.  The
quick fix is to adjust any negative number to 0.  The right thing to
do would be to check errno on a negative return and do something
appropriate.

Les Mikesell