Verbose modems (Re: MORE 6386 UUCP WOES)

The Beach Bum jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Sat Oct 22 11:18:04 AEST 1988

In article <889 at vsi.COM> friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <5042 at cbmvax.UUCP>, ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>> I disagree.  Having "result codes" on a dialin modem on a Unix
>> system is a pretty stupid idea, ...
>
>It is certainly a drag to be stuck in upper case because
>RING was seen as a login.  To combat this, we set our modems
>to give digit result codes instead of verbose ones;

I run both lines bi-directional on this system.  The approach I use is to
turn off echo and result codes when I prepare the modem for dialin.  Then,
when the modem is being initialized for dialing out, result codes and echo
are both enabled.  I use verbose result codes since getty is no longer in
the picture.

The string I send just after hangup is ATE0V1Q1S0=1, then when I am
ready to start dialing I send ATE1V1Q0S0=0 [ and curse the RING codes I
still wind up getting ].
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman: