Various 3B* questions

Jon B. Sadler sadler at shorty.CS.WISC.EDU
Tue Oct 4 22:14:55 AEST 1988

In article <279 at 3b2.UUCP>, danno at 3b2.UUCP (Daniel Notov) writes:
>In article <856 at vsi.UUCP>, friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>
>> [*] is it possible to run more than 2 ADLI (async data line
>>     interfaces) on a single IOA (I/O accelerator).  We assume
>>     no, but we've heard rumors to the contrary.
>
>Our big 3B15 is configured as follows:

  <Description of config.>
Our machine is not as user I/O heavy, but we are using 4 ADLIs per IOA
without any real problems.  Config follows:
     IOA 0
		 ADLI 0
		 ADLI 1
		 ADLI 2
		 ADLI 3
	 IOA 1
		 ADLI 4
		 ADLI 5
		 ADLI 6
This machine also has 4 FC controlers each with 2 disks, 1 tape drive,
and 2 3bNET (10base5) boards, although one is off line currently.

>A question for the net:  Has anyone recently upgraded to SVR3.1 on a 3B15?
>What am I getting myself into?  We're looking to add the following to the
>machine above:
>	SVR3.1
>	10BASE5: (Was 3BNET NI)
>	WIN/3B V1.2
>	3BFIM to connect to an ISN.
We expect to be upgrading within 3 mo's.  I can only tell you what I know
about the upgrade from our move to SVR3.1 on our 3b2's.  We had no problems
with the upgrade -- file system types were still compatible, etc.  so for
the most part, it was just changing / and /usr, and re-compiling a few
sources for local programs.
No major changes.

As for the WIN/3b software, get the latest release. (I believe 2.1)  Their
old release was full of bugs and I would not recomend your using it.  The
new version, in conjunction with the new SV, will allow you to run RFS
between your 3b15's, 3b2's, etc.  Also, look for an NFS product from AT&T.
This product will require the most recent WIN/3b release.  The new release
will also let you '15 do ethernet gatewaying, assuming you have 2 or more
ethernet cards.

The 3bFIM I don't know a thing about.  I do have experience with the ISN
though, and could answer other questions on this.

>--
>	Daniel S. Notov		|	{monster,uunet}!onm3b2!danno
>	Ogilvy & Mather, Inc.	|	(212) 907-4255
>	New York, NY		|

hope this helps!

Jonathan Sadler
University of Wisconsin - Madison

INTERNET:  sadler at cs.wisc.edu         SNAIL MAIL:  Jonathan Sadler
           sadler at csd4.milw.wisc.edu               2350 Comp Sci + Stat (CSL)
UUCP    :  ...!rutgers!uwvax!sadler                University of Wisconsin
           sadler at uwvax.UUCP                       Madison, WI 53706
           ...chinet!laidbak!sadler   BELL NET:    (608) 262-2389
  REALLY NIFTY AUTOMATED ATTENDANT -- BELL NET:    (800) 524-8649 x379