wide-screen vi

C. Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.WA.COM
Fri Oct 14 08:36:23 AEST 1988

Has anyone been able to successfully set up for wide-screen vi editing
session on the console?  I have been trying to use the version 3.51 supplied
"132-Character" font in /usr/lib/wfont/PLAIN.R.E.11.A  (which BTW is only
120 characters wide on the console!) by doing the following:

    1:  Add termcap and terminfo entries called s4-120 which duplicate the
	s4 entry with #co120 and #li26.  (Also tried li24 and li25).

    2:  TERM=s4-120 ; export TERM

    3:  setf /usr/lib/wfont/PLAIN.R.E.11.A 0	(load font into slot 0)

    4:  /usr/bin/vi [filename]

So far, so good.  The editor fires up with the new font and handles the
120 column width and sets a 25 line window.  However, there are problems:

    A:  The screen update gets confused and doesn't properly indicate which
	line you are actually on (in the edit buffer).  As you would expect,
	a ^L will bring things back in line.

    B:  When you type certain editing commands (eg. A) I get a  "H5", "E3",
        etc appearing on the screen.  Sometimes these disappear with a refresh
	while other times they are actually inserted into the text at the
	current cursor position. In either case, the proper editor effect is
	not performed.  As far as I can tell, there are no termcap/terminfo
	values with a these strings embedded in them and they are not the
	result of key mapping from function keys.

    C:  There are a few other minor problems with screen refresh - like
	the info/status line getting "picked up" and scrolled up the screen
	with your text.

Any clues as to what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

--
Jeffery Small    (206) 485-5596            uw-beaver!uw-nsr!uw-warp
C. Jeffery Small and Associates                                    !cjsa!jeff