Vi bug: saves too often

Steve Simmons scs at lokkur.UUCP
Mon Apr 3 01:39:37 AEST 1989

In article <10671 at stb.UUCP> michael at stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
>Normally vi will not save a file out unless you say :w. On other systems
>if you say :n, you will be told "Has been modified--use :n!"; if you
>say :!, you will be told "[modifications not written out]". On the
>unix-pc, both of these will write it out even if you didn't want it to.
>: Michael Gersten			 uunet.uu.net!stb!michael

???  This has not been my experience with any release of the
Unix-PC software.  I suspect you've set your vi sessions up using
'autowrite' mode.  To find out, the next time you're in vi give
the command
	:set
and see what's listed.  Dollars to donuts you get autowrite.  There's
this places it could come from: your EXINIT environment variable,
a file named .exrc in your home directory, or a file named .exrc in
your local directory.
--
+ Steve Simmons, Inland Sea Software, Ltd.         scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us +
|    9353 Hidden Lake, Dexter, MI. 48130                   313-426-8981    |