3b1 40meg disk woes: Help

daniel.r.levy danl at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Mon Apr 24 13:15:54 AEST 1989

In article <17513 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> Sigh.  Kim Wallen recites tales of woe re: his 3B1 with a 40MB HD.
>
> Without wishing to sound prejudiced, I bet his HD is either a Seagate or
> a Miniscribe.

$ grep -i miniscribe $A
a Miniscribe.
$

Could you, or anyone else in-the-know, please tell me what the deal is with
the MINISCRIBE.  Some time before I got my unix-pc, I asked on the net about
hard disk problems (having vaguely remembered the exchange which you just
reposted a summary of) and was duly told that indeed, the Seagate ST251 had
a lot of lemons.  And thus, when shopping for my unix-pc, I made damn sure
that it did not have a Seagate in it.  However, it has a 40 MB Miniscribe in it
and now the above allusion to the Miniscribe has me worried, and a little
consternated that I did not hear about the troubles with it as well, if indeed
there are troubles with it at all.  Is MINISCRIBE another Seagate product
under a different name?  Or, has it been having similar difficulties?  (I
note, per the grep above, that the articles you have reposted say nothing
about the MINISCRIBE, other than your own comment.)

I really need to know before it's too late.  Thank you so very much.
--
Dan'l Levy                 UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy, att!cbnewsc!danl
AT&T Bell Laboratories