3b1 40meg disk woes: Help

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Apr 23 18:20:05 AEST 1989

Sigh.  Kim Wallen recites tales of woe re: his 3B1 with a 40MB HD.

Without wishing to sound prejudiced, I bet his HD is either a Seagate or
a Miniscribe.

Seems it's time again for my bi-weekly "my drive don't spin no more" posting.

It's gotten so bad, I now keep this file in a ram-disk and I have a keyboard
function key dedicated to "M-X insert-file$/ram/seagate.s*cks"    :-)  :-)

I hope the following information helps.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

========================= begin reposted material =========================

Eric Bergan comments about problems with his ST-251 hard drive ...

There are inherent flaws in the design of the ST251 such that the drive motor
will NOT spin due to the arms not coming out of park position (which they enter
upon power-down of the drive).

I have 10 drives (ST251) exhibiting this problem (on several different types
of computers), and hundreds of others are now noticing similar problems with
their ST251 drives.

Following is a compendium of solutions and explanations; the problem is SO
common with Seagate drives (even their new 3.5" puppies) that I keep a file
with stuff like the following to simplify answering your (and others')
questions.  In *MY* opinion, the ONLY good Seagate drive is a dea... oops,
sorry!, re-starting, the only good Seagate drive is the ST-4096 with the
linear arm actuator.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]