Network choice for the Future?

jerry at gistdev.UUCP jerry at gistdev.UUCP
Thu Apr 20 01:24:00 AEST 1989

Well, the debate rages on:

On the ATT 3B2 and ATT386 line and on into the future.

What are the pros and cons of choosing either Starlan or TCP/IP Ethernet
for Unix-to-Unix connections? We currently make use of the remote shell
and remote copy capabilities, also we have a need for 8 bit data
transfer/terminal emulation. I understand that rlogin -8 gives 8 bit,
does such an option exist for ATT Starlan cu? We will be connecting a
group of ATT 6386s, a 3B2 600 and perhaps a VaxStation 2000.

If you have any facts and/or opinions in this area your input would
be greatly appreciated.

As a company we currently have made forays into both of these arenas,
and now it is time to focus on the future.  It may be that the
capabilities of one are reflected in the other.  I ask that the net
express itself so that I (and thereby my company) could have access
to the great pool of knowledge available in this electronic community.

Thanks in Advance for your reply!

 --
Jerry Waltz	 Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
		 1800 Woodfield Drive

UUCP:    ...{uunet,convex,pur-ee}!uiucuxc!gistdev!jerry
INTERNET: jerry%gistdev at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
PHONE: (217) 352-1165				 #include <std_disclaimer>