connecting 2400 modem to 3b2/310 in auto-answer

Ami Motro ami at kodkod.usc.edu
Sat Apr 1 13:15:44 AEST 1989

I am trying to connect a 2400 baud Hayes-compatible modem to
a 3b2/310 running 3.2.2 -- and I am having a problem:

I can originate calls (using cu, uucp, or manually via kermit) at 2400 baud
without a problem, and I can get it to auto-answer (i.e., login remote users)
at 1200 baud without a problem.

But somehow I can't get it login remote users at 2400.

The modem seems to be ok: if I set it in auto-answer, and "cat" the port, all
the characters entered on the remote terminal appear correctly on the screen.
Similarly, if I use kermit at both ends, they send and receive ok.

But if I put a "getty" on the port, it echoes junk to the remote terminal.
Issuing "break"s at the remote terminal does get it to cycle through the baud
rates (I check it by sending a break on the sending port, and then running
"stty </dev/ttyxx" on the receiving port), but it never logs the user in.

To start "getty" I have a script that (1) talks to the modem over the port (get
it into answer-mode, cancel echo, etc.), (2) edits /etc/inittab to respawn
"/etc/getty 2400 /dev/ttyxx" and (3) call "telinit q".

Occasionally (once out of 20 or 30) it does work ok...  I tried lots of other
"let's change this and see if it helps", without any luck.

Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks.

Ami Motro
(ami at cse.usc.edu)

I am not sure about the current uucp address.  If you can't access the internet
please post your answer.