connecting 2400 modem to 3b2/310 in auto-answer

Netnews Administrator fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Mon Apr 3 13:32:22 AEST 1989

In article <16215 at oberon.USC.EDU> ami at kodkod.usc.edu () writes:
>I am trying to connect a 2400 baud Hayes-compatible modem to
>a 3b2/310 running 3.2.2 -- and I am having a problem:

>I can originate calls (using cu, uucp, or manually via kermit) at 2400 baud
>But if I put a "getty" on the port, it echoes junk to the remote terminal.
>Issuing "break"s at the remote terminal does get it to cycle through the baud
>rates (I check it by sending a break on the sending port, and then running
>"stty </dev/ttyxx" on the receiving port), but it never logs the user in.

This is really strange; it *SOUNDS* like you have everything set up
okay, especially since the only thing that doesn't work on the port is
getty.

>To start "getty" I have a script that (1) talks to the modem over the port (get
>it into answer-mode, cancel echo, etc.), (2) edits /etc/inittab to respawn
>"/etc/getty 2400 /dev/ttyxx" and (3) call "telinit q".

This is probably unnecessary.  You can set up a sequence of baud
rates that you'd like your tty's to go through as the calling process
sends BREAKS down the line.  It's described in gettydefs(4).  Any
particular reason you chose to do it this way ?

I'd also try uugetty if you have it.
--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support