Trailblazer Setup for HDB <--[NO! NO! NO!] for the UNIX PC

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at denwa.uucp
Tue Apr 11 12:44:09 AEST 1989

In article <950 at rush.howp.com>, bob at rush.howp.com (Bob Ames) writes:
> OK, everybody.  If we want HDB, let's all get together and send a
> joint letter to AT&T saying that we'll each pay $x for the binaries.
>
> How/Why should we be stuck
> with the stock software when it would be so easy for them to
> release the good stufff.  Especially since the software has already
> been written and runs quite adequately.

The problem as I see it is that while the HDB for the UNIX PC is
"adequate" (and definitely better than the stock stuff), it still has a
major bug that would need to be fixed before it could be sold, and AT&T
doesn't want to bother.

This bug results in it thinking that all calls on the OBM reach
carrier.  On uucp calls this means that a busy or no-answer condition
will result in it sitting there until it times out on login, thus
making it impossible to specify an alternate number to dial by means of
a second entry for that system in the Systems file.  Likewise, cu(1)
calls through the OBM will get you a "Connected" message, and wreak
havoc on scripts that try to use cu.

I don't think AT&T minds us having HDB, since it is a product that they
_can't_ sell.  If and when they decide to fix it (ha!), I'll send in my
check.
--
                              Jim Gottlieb
  E-Mail: <jimmy at denwa.uucp> or <jimmy at pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>