Update on SCIS adapter for Unix PC

Michael Thompson miket at bnrmtv.UUCP
Sat Apr 8 13:09:47 AEST 1989

Greetings everyone,

This is a quick letter to update everyone where the SCSI Bus for the
Unix PC is at and where it is going.  From the volume of mail I have
recieved in the last week it is clear we can't let the SCSI bus die
out.

I will start contacting the people on an individual basis for assistance
in this project.  It is clear that there are people more technically
competent than I at both the software and hardware aspects of a SCSI
adapter so I will be soliciting those people for a great deal of
help.  I am willing to be the central point of contact and maintain
all the information on the SCSI adapter for later public distribution.
If you can contribute to this effort and have not yet contacted me, please
do so.  My home address and phone number is given below if you care to
contact me that way.

	Mike Thompson
	26045 Duval Way
	Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
	Phone (415) 949-1707

I can be reached most of the evenings at that number.

I am still tracking down a Technical Manual and the AT&T notes on
loadable device drivers, but I hope to have those in hand soon.  At that
time I will be able to get a much better idea of the magnitude of work
this project will entail.  If it sounds like I don't really know too much
about SCSI and Unix device drivers, you are right, but I am willing to
at least learn.  I really hope to function as a catalyst in getting the
ball rolling, it is up to the rest of this network to make the SCSI adapter
a reality.

I have tried to respond to every email message I have received so far, but
because the volume is getting pretty heavy I can no longer respond in
detail to most of it.  I will try to respond with a short message to all
people who email me, so if you didn't get a response, please keep trying
to mail to me.  I may have not received the original message.

I have to go now, but I will post another update next week when I know
more about the people who are going to help build the SCSI board and
code the driver.

SCSI will take our Unix PC's into the 90's.

Mike Thompson
			  |  Michael P. Thompson, Member Scientific Staff   |
		 ###      |  BNR/Northern Telcom, Dept. 4Z15                |
####  #####    #########  |  685A E. Middlefield Road                       |
############ ###########  |  Mountain View, CA  94039-7277                  |
####    ####    ####      |  PH. (415) 940-2575  FAX. (415) 966-1067        |
####     #####   ######   |  UUCP. ames! ----->-- bnrmtv!miket              |
			  |        hplabs! --/                              |