Trailblazer Setup for HDB <--[NO! NO! NO!] for the UNIX PC

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Sun Apr 2 02:36:08 AEST 1989

In article <290 at greek.UUCP> mark at greek.UUCP (Mark Jeghers) writes:

>>This is in reply to this article ... I've shar'd up a possible setup for
>>the UNIX PC using HDB...

>*** flame on
>
>NO! NO! NO!  Listen folks!  Some of us pathetic cretins out here DO NOT
>HAVE HDB!  Remember?  AT&T won't give it out to anyone else, remember????
>
>*** flame off

Well, I'll flame right back!

A lot of people DO have HDB, and HDB is the more difficult
configuration to set up.  If you don't get it tuned Just Right, it
won't work, or it won't work globally, or it'll start behaving totally
anti-socially.  Unix-PC HDB also has some intriguing little bugs that
need external attention, which was addressed in Lenny's posting.

>ahem, sorry about that...

Indeed.  :-)

>Now, can some kind folk out there please let us know what we NON-HDB people
>can do to set up Trailblazers on our 3B1's?
>
>Pleeeeeeez?  (pardon my behavior today, I forgot to take my medication :-)

Anyways....

I have a Trailblazer configuration for Vanilla UUCP on the Unix-PC.
This configuration is an older one and hasn't undergone any fine
tuning in quite some time, but it _does_ work.  The complete
distribution is significantly larger than the HDB configuration since
it includes two utilities written by Gene Olson, called `scc`, which is
a shared library "front end" for cc, and `putty` which is a utility
helping you make your serial line operate bidirectionally.  Absolutely
no warranties are provided with any of the configuration
recommendations.

Since it consists of, and relies on these additional tools, I could
resubmit them to unix-pc.sources in parts.  scc, putty and the Vanilla
UUCP configuration.  However, I'd like to resist that, since I'm not
sure of the current version of scc and putty, and would prefer not to
post outdated versions.

Therefore, I'll start by suggesting mail requests.  If you'd like to
see my concept of a configuration, email me, and I'll send the set to
you.  If the volume is overwhelming, _then_ I'll post it (after I
verify the versions).

--
       Robert J. Granvin
 National Information Services     North Dakota:  11 months of winter and one