Trailblazer Setup for HDB <--[NO! NO! NO!] for the UNIX PC

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Sun Apr 9 10:20:57 AEST 1989

In article <11398 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> smb at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:
>In article <290 at greek.UUCP>, mark at motcsd.UUCP (Mark Jeghers) writes:
>> NO! NO! NO!  Listen folks!  Some of us pathetic cretins out here DO NOT
>> HAVE HDB!  Remember?  AT&T won't give it out to anyone else, remember????
>
>``Give it out''?  No, of course not.  But AT&T does *sell* it.  Why,
>in the current environment, should AT&T ``give it out''?

AT&T does *not* sell HoneyDanBer for the UNIX PC.  They ship the
stock System V uucp with the machine, which is buggy as hell, and
refuse to ship HDB, which works nearly flawlessly, because they
don't want to have the extra support task.

You can of course spend $3000 on sources (10 times what I paid
for an entire UNIX PC!) and then do your own hacking to adapt it
to the UNIX PC, unless they'd be charitable enough to sell you
the already ported version.

If AT&T's attitude towards UNIX PC customers is typical of their
attitude towards *all* computer customers, they're going to have
to start giving stuff away one of these days -- because nobody
will be willing to pay to endure AT&T's contemptful attitude.

(There are, of course, good people inside AT&T.  But you have to
dig and go under the table to reach them.)

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{ames!hc!rt1,decuac!netsys}!ditka!kls
1-505/667-7777 (work)	|ARPA	rt1!ditka!kls at hc.dspo.gov
1-505/672-3113 (home)	|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)