DWB for AT&T V/386

Netnews Administrator fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Sun Apr 30 16:56:28 AEST 1989

In article <14291 at bfmny0.UUCP> tneff at bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>Does anyone know why AT&T doesn't offer the Documenter's Workbench
>for System V/386?  I know you can buy it from, say, I*******ve (name
>cloaked to preserve decorum here in comp.sys.att <grin>) so it must
>have been ported.  But why not from AT&T?  Right now I have to ferry
>manual pages over to a Sequent and format them there just to install
>packages and such!

The question of why AT&T doesn't sell troff or nroff came up about a
year ago in a 3.2 training session I attended.  Basically the answer given
(from a product manager) was that there were already many Xenix text
processing packages out there, so customers should get it third party.

My presumption is that they thought the demand wasn't great enough to
turn troff/nroff into a profitable product.  DWB probably went the same
route as well.

Sorry, but you can't get it from AT&T (atleast not on 386 unix).

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support