Trailblazer Setup for HDB <--[NO! NO! NO!] for the UNIX PC

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at aber-cs.UUCP
Mon Apr 17 01:22:24 AEST 1989

In article <1366 at sialis.mn.org> rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
    >>>We don't need support, except for maybe a correct manual   ( 1/2 |-) )
    >>>Please oh please please please release HDB to us, AT&T.

    I understand where ATT is coming from.  _Nothing_ on this planet is
    unsupported.

ALL software on this planet is unsupported. UNIX for starters...

    Right now, everyone and their mother would be excited for HDB to be
    released totally unsupported.  "Yes, I know it's unsupported.  I'll take
    my chances, and never ever ever call ATT about it" is an easy thing to
    think right now.  And today it would be acceptable.

This is the case with ALL software we currently see.

    It can be argued that when ATT ships the product, they include a written
    disclaimer with the distribution, but in reality, what's the chances of
    every user receiving that disclaimer?

They already do, with every single bit of software they sell. I would like
to remind you that UNIX itself is disclaimed against any and every
suitability for purpose, reliability, etc... Also, when you buy a support
contract for software, look carefully a the words on the contract you sign.

It is ALMOST ALWAYS the case that it says that you pay money to REPORT bugs,
period. Many suppliers will not LISTEN to bug reports unless you pay for
them to, and that is all they are prepared to undertake to do for you. In
some cases a support contract may also include occasional distributions of
software updates, about which no representation is made either.

Please, please. Everybody should always remember that they agreed that any
use of almost any computer software is done at their own risk and that they
agreed that they should bear all damages and costs. Many licenses even say
that the customer shall pay for the costs incurred by the supplier in
defending themselves against claims of having stolen the software from a
third party... AT&T licenses thank goodness don't, by the way.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi            |  ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth         |  UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK  |  INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk