STARLAN on AT&T 3B2/400 and 386

~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~ fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Tue Dec 12 07:06:12 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov27.224422.16915 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <1989Nov22.160616.10272 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>=In article <1989Nov21.134118.11677 at nebulus> root at nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>=>root at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>=>>Is there a need to change the software on the 3B2s?
>=
>=>No not at all!
>=
>=Umm... As far as I know, release 1.x of the starlan drivers (which is
>=what he has on the 3b2) will *not* talk to 3.x (which is all that you
>=can get for the 386).  They can co-exist on the same wire and there
>=is a software-bridge product available, but to use rfs he's going to
>=have to upgrade to release 3.2 starlan on the 3B2.
>=
>=Les Mikesell
>=  les at chinet.chi.il.us
>
>Oh, oh!  Will "he" have to upgrade anything else?  Does RFS/Starlan 3.2
>run on SVR3.1, for example?

If you have the latest version of the transport provider (ie,
StarGROUP), it will run on all previous versions of System V Release
3.x Unix.  The current version of the StarGROUP software is 3.2, and
it runs on Unix System V Releases 3.1, 3.1.1, 3.2, 3.2.1, and 3.2.2.
That's pretty straight forward.

The interesting one is that the "point" release numbers of NSU, RFS,
and Unix should all match.  For instance on 3.1.x Unix, you need NSU
version 1.1 and RFS version 1.1 (if you want to run RFS).  On 3.2.x
versions of Unix, you need NSU version 1.2 and RFS version 1.2.  You
only need RFS if you want to run RFS; for instance you could run UUCP
and CU over Starlan with just Unix, the StarGROUP Network Program, and
NSU.  The dependency could be viewed as NSU is dependent upon the Unix
version, and RFS is dependent upon the version of NSU.  The version of
the transport software is independent of the Unix, NSU, or RFS version

An analogous situation exists for TCP/IP; if you have TCP/IP 3.01 it
runs on all 3.x versions of Unix, but you need to make sure the
"point" versions of Unix match the "point" versions of NSU and RFS.

BTW, for those that don't know NSU is the Networking Support Utilities
and provides Streams and the Transport Layer Interface (TLI).

This is true for both 386 and 3B2 Unix.

Hope this clears things up,

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Complementary Channel Sales Support