Disk timing for stock Miniscribe 6085

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Mon Dec 11 14:39:30 AEST 1989

I ran the diagnostics disk s4test 6,5 on the 6085 stock drive in my
3b1 at home.  I consistently got about 39-1/2 seconds to complete
the 1000 random seeks.  The drive recals itself as the test starts,
as evidenced by about 1 second of b-z-z-z-z-z-t.  I included the
recal in the 39-1/2 seconds.

The 6085 is supposed to have a random seek time of about 28 mS.
It is unclear to me whether the test is seeking tracks or blocks.
I suspect it is seeking blocks.  That should about on average 1/2
revolution of latency (~8.3 mS) to each seek if the above is the
case.  That gets us up to around 36 seconds.  Considering the time
required for my reaction time at the end and the time eaten up for
the recalibrate, seems like theory and actual practice jive.

Bill
wtm at neoucom.edu   or   wtm at impulse.UUCP

We now return control to your local station.