BNU uucp e protocol anybody?

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Thu Dec 7 12:38:54 AEST 1989

Hello group.  I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried
out the uucp e (e for error-free link) protocol .. especially on
the 3b1.

The e protocol requires that an error free machine-to-machine link
exist.  In the 4th quarter Unix release notes, AT&T actually
mentions using the e protocol in conjuction with the CEO 2224
modem's MNP error correction.  e doesn't bother ACK'ing each 64
byte packet the way the g protocol does; e transmits the entire
file.

Using the BNU uucp on the 3b1 with g protocol spoofing supported in
the Trailblazer modem results in xferstats of around 1200-1250
characters/sec for me when the EIA port is pushed to 19.2K buad.  I
tried the e protocol, and got xferstats of about 1350 char/sec.  In
the latter case, the Trailblazer was set up with S111=0 and S110=0
for no protocol support and no compression, respectively.  The
problem is that uucp would usually get through about four files
then lock up with something to the effect of (this is from memory):

" --> 42879  1352 char/sec
i-msg> 'c'    got 0000
fail"

with -x7 set in uucico.  The temp files built in the spool
directory seemed complete.  The message above was as viewed from
the transmitting end.

I found that I didn't get anywhere at all wtih e protocol until
both 3b1s had hfc enabled with /etc/hfc_ctl +/dev/tty000 and
handshaking enabled on the Trailblazers (not really surprising, of
course).

A while back, Peter Honeyman said in comp.dcom.modems words to the
effect "Use Trailblazers with g protocol, which is what they are
designed for," and left the subject at that.  True words, as it
turns out.  It'd be nice to squeeze a few more bytes though to save
a couple of bucks a more each month on ye olde phone bill.  Of
course, 1250 char/sec with the g protocol isn't exactly chopped
liver.

By the way if you feel daring, the e protocol is enabled by putting
a ,e after the Systems file reference to the Dialers file device
reference:  Sysname Any ACUFAST,e 13015557497 "" /r in:--in: uucp.
You need to have BNU for e to work.

Bill