BNU uucp e protocol anybody?

John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Fri Dec 8 01:25:44 AEST 1989

In article <1847 at neoucom.UUCP> wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>Hello group.  I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried
>out the uucp e (e for error-free link) protocol .. especially on
>the 3b1.

	'E' is used extensively in our 3B1 HDB StarLAN transfers.
	Very fast -- about 3 times as fast as 'g', if I recall
	properly.

>The e protocol requires that an error free machine-to-machine link
>exist.  In the 4th quarter Unix release notes, AT&T actually
>mentions using the e protocol in conjuction with the CEO 2224
>modem's MNP error correction.  e doesn't bother ACK'ing each 64
>byte packet the way the g protocol does; e transmits the entire
>file.
>
>Using the BNU uucp on the 3b1 with g protocol spoofing supported in
>the Trailblazer modem results in xferstats of around 1200-1250
>characters/sec for me when the EIA port is pushed to 19.2K buad.  I
>tried the e protocol, and got xferstats of about 1350 char/sec.  In

	Didn't you mention "an error free machine-to-machine link..."?
	The RS-232 ports on the 3B1 are *NOT* an error free link.
	It is trivial to overrun the ON-CHIP buffers during other
	RS-232 output operations [incl. the phone use].

	In an environment where one can guarantee NO character losses
	between the kernel and the modem, the 'e' protocol might work
	-- but it's not going to happen on the 10MHz, overburdened
	68010 of the 3B1.

john mcmillan -- att!mtunb!jcm