7300 and 9600 baud modems (VT220 suggestion, and question)

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Tue Dec 5 20:47:31 AEST 1989

In article <583 at limbic.UUCP> gil at limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In article <4197 at eagle.wesleyan.edu> flinton at eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>If you need the tb-setup script, check-out the posting I made to the unix-pc
>distribution about the ICUS archives, or e-mail me for more information.

One thing I recently discovered (I feal stupid) is that you have to go to
some effort to support MNP. If you want to dial out to an MNP modem, and
force an MNP connect, set S95=1. If you want ALL dial-ins to be MNP only,
also set S95=1. If you want incoming connects to be MNP if they can do it,
set S95=2. Use ONLY S95=0 to connect out to a UNIXpc 1200 baud and other stupid
modems. I now have two sets of dialers in the Dialers file. I then configure
the proper dialer on a per-system basis in the Systems file. You will notice
the modem stay in audio monitor mode a few seconds longer with S95!=0, until
the MNP handshake completes. MNP is great for quiet terminal users. I don't
know what effect using MNP has on UUCP throughput.

I goofed with other UUCP protocols with HDB. The version of HDB we have only
seems to support "e" and "g" protocols. The TB only spoofs "g" protocol, and
"e" drives it crazy. This part is where the protocol arbitration happens:

---
msg-ROK
 Rmtname oink, Role MASTER,  Ifn - 6, Loginuser - jbm
rmesg - 'P' got Pge
                 ^^
wmesg 'U'g
         ^
Proto started g
              ^
---

The set of protocols you allow for connections to a certain machine is
specified in the Systems file, as a comma subfield of the device name:
system Any pep,eg Any ...
              ^^^
The protoset may also be put after the same name in the Devices file.

Anybody know what the "e" protocol is supposed to be used with? STARLAN?

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!