Accessing ports on ATT PC6300 PLUS

Govind N. Kamat kamat at uceng.UC.EDU
Thu Dec 14 18:44:15 AEST 1989

[  This was posted to unix-pc.general, but apparently the PC6300
   is not a "UNIX PC", hence the repost to this group.  ]

I need to read from/write to the I/O ports on an AT&T PC6300 PLUS.
This 80286 machine runs UNIX and has a DOS compatiblity mode in which
it can run DOS software.  Now, in the DOS mode, using the Microsoft C
compiler, I can use the functions inp() and outp() to perform the
assembler IN and OUT instructions.  It isn't clear whether the UNIX
end has similar functions available.

I thought maybe ioctl(2) might help, but that manual page just refers
me to section 7 which doesn't seem to exist in my copy of the
documentation.  If someone out in Netland has any information on
ioctl() devices, or even better, knows how to do port I/O, I would be
most grateful if you could e-mail.

I'll summarize if there is interest.

--
Govind Kamat