Help on PC7300

Calvin Hayden cgh018 at tijc02.UUCP
Wed Dec 13 04:15:41 AEST 1989

I'm posting this for a friend.  Someone he knows
has a AT&T PC7300 running Sys V Rel 3.0.  On it, they
have an accounting package and a db package - I dont
know who makes them.  The persons they got the system
from went bankrupt, and left town.  Now they are having
problems.  The only two ids on the system take you into
the packages, and no one there knows the root password.
The packages do not offer a way out to the OS.  Its simple,
they cannot log onto the machine other than through the
package ids.  I remember from an ATT course that if you somehow
forgot your root password, that you could shutdown and reboot
from a floppy (a diagnostic, or field service one if I remember
correctly), and that the floppy contained a routine that would
let you reset your root password.  I'm foggy on this, because I
have a Vax 8600 running sys V, and I cant do this on my machine.
Well, have I been dreaming or what?  Anyone know of a way to get
to the shell level on this machine - by the way, they have no manuals,
and no floppy.  Any suggestions as to what these people should do,
or someone they could contact within ATT for help would be appreciated.
Please post (or email if you are concerned with security).  Thanks
in advance.

Calvin Hayden
Texas Instruments, Johnson City, Tn.
Voice (615)461-2254