FirmWare passwd

Don Curtis dc at dcpc.UUCP
Sat Dec 2 12:11:14 AEST 1989

In  <17493 at netnews.upenn.edu> blackman at hodgkin.med.upenn.edu (David Blackman)
asks:

>I have acquired an AT&T 3B2/400.  The system administrator for the
>machine has left town.  My problem is that I don't know the firmware
>password and don't have a floppy key.  I do have root access on the
>machine.  Is there any way to discover or set the firmware password
>without a floppy key?

	Try the default password (mcp) (make sure terminal is set to
	9600 baud NO parity)...if that doesn't work, simply shutdown
	to power off (init 0) and pull the battery for about 10
	seconds or so.  It'll revert to the default firmware password.

	No idea on the benchmark..only know that the 400 slows down
	fairly quickly (depending on what you're doing of course)
	with users.  We tried running Oracle on one (acutally, 7
	of them) and found that 6 users could bring it to it's knees.

--
/*
**              Don Curtis    ...boulder!tcr!dcpc!dc
**                               76703.4321 at compuserve.com
*/