Help on PC7300

Peter Fales psfales at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Thu Dec 14 16:00:17 AEST 1989

In article <808 at tijc02.UUCP>, cgh018 at tijc02.UUCP (Calvin Hayden ) writes:
> I remember from an ATT course that if you somehow
> forgot your root password, that you could shutdown and reboot
> from a floppy (a diagnostic, or field service one if I remember
> correctly), and that the floppy contained a routine that would
> let you reset your root password.

Without going into a lot of details, here is the basic idea:

1) Boot the system from the "Floppy Boot Disk" from the foundation set.
2) When it prompts for the "Floppy File System," insert the disk and
	hit return.
3) When it asks the next question (something like "Do you really want
	to initialize your disk?"), hit DEL.
4) You will be at a shell prompt with the hard disk mounted on /mnt.
5) Use /mnt/bin/ed to edit /mnt/etc/passwd.
6) Don't forget to "umount /dev/rfp002" before rebooting.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.