graphics on a Star Gemini 15-X printer from a 3b1

Eric Durbin ericd at ms.uky.edu
Thu Jun 22 22:14:36 AEST 1989

In article <494 at ntvax.UUCP> canoaf at ntvax.UUCP (Augustine Cano) writes:
>I'm using a Star Micronics Gemini 15-X printer with my 3b1.
>It works fine for normal printing, but being a non-supported printer,
>I can't do anything fancy.  I have the system set up so it thinks it is a
>StarSG10....

With my Star SG-10 I've found that the only way to utilize the printer's
capabilities in text printing is to use nroff with a customized terminal
driving table.  For example one needs to create a file
/usr/lib/nterm/tab.printername, where "printername" is a unique name
for your printer - like sg10.  Then use "nroff -Tsg10" on nroff documents.
You could copy a generic driving table and then customize according to
your printer.  The table contents are explained in nterm(5).

If anybody out there's got a complete driving table for the SG-10 I'd
appreciate getting it from you, mine is still very generic.

>If I do a <SHIFT> <PRINT> the screen gets actually printed, but in stripes.
>The printer does not seem to understand the codes sent to move the paper up
>less than the usual amount.

No, it's not the characters, it's the print mode.  My SG-10 has to be in
STAR printing mode to perform screen dumps without too much line spacing.
You have to set DIP switch 2-2 on and powerup the printer for this to work.
I'm sure your 15-X has a similar setting.

--
[]  Eric B. Durbin     (606) 233-6043  []                  ericd at ms.uky.edu  []
[]  MN554 Univ of Kentucky Med Center  []                 ericd at UKMA.BITNET  []