graphics on a Star Gemini 15-X printer from a 3b1

Augustine Cano canoaf at ntvax.UUCP
Sat Jun 17 10:36:03 AEST 1989

Hi everybody!

I'm using a Star Micronics Gemini 15-X printer with my 3b1.
It works fine for normal printing, but being a non-supported printer,
I can't do anything fancy.  I have the system set up so it thinks it is a
StarSG10.  This was a guess on my part, I assumed that being the same brand
they would be the closest.  Is this correct? would another printer option
work better?  Does anybody out there have a Gemini 10-X or 15-X connected so
it does the fancy stuff successfully? BTW, it does underline and overstrike
ok, but that's about it.

If I do a <SHIFT> <PRINT> the screen gets actually printed, but in stripes.
The printer does not seem to understand the codes sent to move the paper up
less than the usual amount.  I assume there is a way to either translate the
characters sent into what the printer will understand or to make the printing
utility send the right ones.  What would be involved?  Can I just set up some
tables?  How about the GSS-drivers stuff, is it possible to customize/make
a new entry for this printer?  I'd love to be able to print graphics.

Alternatively, is anyone aware of a set of PROMS that would make this printer
emulate one of the supported ones?

One more thing, does anybody have a number to get in touch with Star Micronics?
The numbers in my manuals are disconnected, I've seen no recent ads in the
magazines I subscribe to and they are not in the phone books I have.

Any information, code or suggestions that anybody might have would be greatly
appreciated.  I'll summarize.

Augustine Cano		canoaf at dept.csci.unt.edu