permissions on swap (UNIXPC)

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Sat Jun 17 07:37:39 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jun14.042038.432 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd at ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
>Here are the permissions on my swapspace device:
>brw-r--r--  1 sys     sys       0,  1 Jan  1  1970 /dev/swap
>I think this is a security hole... what do you think?  Must it
>be world readable?
Yes, it is a hole, no it nee$ not be readable

>Also, even though my swap space HAS been used, why is the last
>update date big-bang (unix time)?

The kernel does not open the swap partition from "far-enough-out" for the
access times to be changed. You would have to know about some of the internal
routines in the kernel and how the kernel uses them directly to understand.
I suggest the Bach book.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:466-9324; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!