AT&T 3B20D

Gary L Dare gld at CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Jun 17 04:50:45 AEST 1989

In article <226 at cbnewsd.ATT.COM> J. P. Schoonover wrote:

>I don't know that AT&T has tried to sell the 3B20D as a general purpose
>mini, but I wouldn't recommend using it that way.  It's too old a machine.

I don't know if AT&T tried to *market* them as such, but they have been
donating these machines to various universities including Columbia.  We
received three, but they were decommissioned after two years because
their service contracts were *prohibitive* and the System V OS version
was an old, beta - couldn't afford new code, hard to find a system
manager full-time, no NFS so we could use them as communications hubs
(I was very enthusiastic about them, as you can tell).  A shame.

I don't know how many of the recipients have their systems running and
happy.  Is anyone out there part of the 3B20 user group, U3G??

gld
--
 Gary L. Dare				> gld at eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU