Questions on 3b1

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Jun 24 14:26:29 AEST 1989

Steve Wampler asks "How hot should a HD get?"

How 'bout 1 microsecond access, 100 Terabytes storage, w/10 GByte/sec transfer?

:-)

Seriously ... I operate more than 20 HDs on various systems and, without
exception, they operate too hot for *ME* to touch comfortably for more than a
few seconds when operated in "free space."  For that reason, I *ALWAYS* operate
HDs in an enclosure with forced-air ventilation.

Though I have a YSI thermocouple proble system at hand, it's really not
convenient to power down a system to access a HD for mounting the probe.  My
*GUESS* is the external casing of a HD will typically operate at 120-130F.

Just do a simple, back-of-the-envelope calculation: most 3-1/2" HDs are spec'd
around 9-11W operating power; most 5-1/2" HDs range 12-25W operating power; and
the mongo Maxtors and friends are around 26-35W operating power. These Wattages
are the sum of the +5 and +12 "average" consumption.

Now, to gain a new appreciate for the Watt, buy (or "borrow" from your kid's
bedroom) one of those 7W nite-lights.  Plug the nite-light into a wall socket
and let it warm up for a few minutes.  The grab the bulb and see how hot it is
and hold your nose while your skin blisters and burns.  That's seven (7) Watts.

Can your conjecture how much hotter, say, 25 Watts is (sic)?  :-)  :-)

CAUTION: I don't really mean for you to try the above experiment; I simply
wanted to illustrate what just a "measly" 7W "feels like."

Heat is the bane of ALL things electronic and mechanical.  I strongly urge
you to consider getting a proper HD enclosure with fan to prolong the life of
your HD.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]