Questions on 3b1

Steve Wampler sbw at naucse.UUCP
Wed Jun 21 03:51:37 AEST 1989

(1) Can anyone tell me how to interpret the 'panic' message
	that comes from NMI Kernal Parity Error to determine
	the physical address that caused the problem.  The
	number of such panics has increased since I've added
	memory to my combo board, but the diagnostics don't
	find a problem (intermittant?).

(2) How hot should a hard disk get?  If getting too hot to
	touch for >5 seconds is too hot, then what might
	make it that way?  (Flaky power supply causing the
	disk to strain? or might the disk be acting as a
	heat sink for the power supply?)  The drive and
	power supply are external, in the same small case
	(ventilated, but no fan - though I have the case
	opened up slightly with no change in temperatures).

By the way, if you have Unix 3.5 and a 2nd disk.  You might
want to check /etc/.cleanup.  There is a 'setmnt' in there
that you may want to change to know about the extra partitions.

(3) Can anyone tell me how to *use* ktune?  I mean how I might
	effectively adjust things to improve performance.  Since
	I added both disk and memory, I thought I might want to
	adjust it.  However, after trying to just bump all the
	parameters up, I'm now convinced that one needs to make
	changes systematically - bumping everything up resulted
	in all but one parameter going *down*.  Is there a way
	to monitor the system for a while to see what parameters
	should be changed to what values?

(4) Is anyone interested in the fixdisks for 3.5 (*not* 3.51)?
	I can post a description of the things the fix disks
	fix if anyone wants.  It took <5 days for the ATT Hotline
	to get them to me after I asked for them.  Changes the
	version from 3.5 to 3.5.1.4.

I really appreciate all the help I've gotten from the net.  About
all I can offer in return (that isn't commonly available) is Icon
version7.5 for the Unix-pc.  If any one wants it, let me know.
(It takes about 5 floppies.)
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}