LTMP files

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Mon Jun 5 13:13:13 AEST 1989

In article <163 at zebra.UUCP> vern at zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:
|>Can someone enlighten me on the meaning of the '/usr/spool/uucp/LTMP.xxx'
|>files?  I have acquired quit a set of them lately.  It could possibly be
|>the result of testing a program which accesses a modem on tty000.  I have
|>HDB and have been using the '/usr/lib/setgetty(1)' program.  Could this
|>be the source?  If so, how can I avoid generating them?  They don't seem
|>to be a long term problem since the weekly deamon seems to remove them
|>but in the meantime, they do clutter up the disk.

As the name implies the file is a temporary file for locks.
LTMP.pid, where this file is created to compare access times of the lock,
to see if the LCK..device file can be removed or not, and if it isn't there
and needs to be created this LTMP.pid file is linked to the appropriate
LCK..device file.

These LTMP files are usually unlinked unless the process is killed (-9)
or the system crashes with these open.  It seems on the UNIX pc that the
LTMP files for ph0, ph1, stick around and have two links ...

	LTMP.pid linked to LCK..ph0  -or-
	LTMP.pid linked to LCK..ph1

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576