Conductive Dust Bunnies

Mark Robert Thorson mmm at cup.portal.com
Sat Jun 17 16:17:09 AEST 1989

I had a pdp-11/15 (still have it, wanna buy it?) in which about half the
instruction set was intermittent.  I noticed that years of use had left some
of the chips near the fan caked with dust.  I pulled out all the boards and
washed them with detergent, and that fixed everything up, no more problems.

BTW, conductive dust was an early objection to the introduction of widespread
use of graphite-reinforced plastics.

When I first heard this, it gave me a great idea for "nuking" a computer
center.  Get a bunch of graphite fiber, chop it up, and dump it into the
air conditioner intake for the building housing the computer center.

Of course, I never did it.  And you shouldn't either.   ;-)