Conductive Dust Bunnies

Daniel R. Levy levy at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Fri Jun 16 12:21:59 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jun14.042949.597 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us>, todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
< I was putting in some more memory into my UNIXPC, when all of a
< sudden, it refused to boot.  Thinking I may have bent one of the
< Eurocard connector pins, I opened it up.  What I found was a few
< gnarly dust bunnies smashed inside the connector.  There was no
< metal in the area that I could see.  After doing a thorough vacuuming
< job, I got the machine to boot.
<
< Are dust bunnies electrically conductive in ANY way?

I'd have bet on them being insulating:  the dust got between a pin and a
contact finger, holding them apart.
--
Daniel R. Levy             UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy, att!cbnewsc!levy
AT&T Bell Laboratories