6386 shutdown: I CAN'T BELIEVE at&t was really this stupid!

Paul Rak pjr at jjcac.uucp
Wed Jun 21 01:44:10 AEST 1989

In article <8708 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>Has anyone else had a problem rebooting with ctl-alt-delete after getting
>this message?  I generally get a rom diagnostic about a serial port failure
>unless I push the reset button or power down after running unix.
>
>Les Mikesell

The problem exists even with the latest revision of the BIOS that I've seen
(1.14), and the solution from the hotline is to use the RESET button, as
they can't figure out why it fails.  It occurs on every 6386 that I've
worked on, both 16 & 20 MHz desktops and 20 MHz towers.

Paul Rak

(School / Weekend Work)                    (Weekday Work)
Paul Rak, Jr.                              Paul Rak, Jr.
Sys Administrator/Lab Assistant            Member of Technical Staff
Joliet Junior College                      EMO Computer Products, Inc.
Academic Computing Center                  1701 Quincy Avenue, Suite 22
1216 Houbolt Avenue                        Naperville, IL 60540
Joliet, IL 60536                           (312) 369-1350
(815) 729-9020 x362                        (An AT&T VAR)