6300 disk I/O, internal ROMs

Peter Fales psfales at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Thu Jun 1 08:35:45 AEST 1989

In article <703 at soleil.UUCP>, gopstein at soleil.UUCP (Rich Gopstein) writes:

> When I mentioned that I can't get better than a 5:1 interleave with my
> WDXT-GEN controller, several people suggested that I use the internal
> ATT ROMs to drive the controller.  I am a little confused about exactly
> how that will work.

I was able to change my interleave from 5 to 4 using this method.

> With my existing setup, I have set the 6300 to use the external (controller)
> ROM.  If I switch it back to the external ROM, how do I set the disk type?
>
> I believe that the (AT&T) DTC contoller had a set of switches to select
> the type of disk, but I was never able to get a list of the supported disks
> (for ROM 1.43).  I have a old full length DTC card that I could use to test.
>
> Can the internal ROMs be used with controllers other than the DTC?  If so,
> how do you tell the system what kind of disk you have?  (Mine is a st251-1).

When ROM 1.43 was released, it added support for the Western Digital
controllers.  I have used this successfully with a WX2 controller,
but one thing I have never seen (hello net?) is a list of exactly
which WD controllers are supported.

If you decided to go this route, there is a jumper on the board which
must be removed to disable the controller board ROM (or just remove
the ROM).

I was about to go into detail here about how to set the switches to
specify various drive types, but all that is contained in the
installation manual that should have been provided with the 1.43 ROMs.
If you didn't get the manual, you may want to take that up with
AT&T.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.