UNIXPC in the movies!

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Fri Mar 24 22:20:53 AEST 1989

Yep, those sure were Unix PCs in broadcastnews.  It even looks like
they were running believable applications on them.  It looked very
much like a screen from Informix on the one that I got a good look
at.

Some time, check out the desk just outside the cells on miami vice.
It looks rather like the back of a Unix PC visible over the
counter.

Unix PCs also have shown up in those wall street movies such as The
Secret of My Success and Wall Street.  The Unix PC in The Secret of
My Success was very obviously not running an appropriate
application while she was typing away.

There was a Unix PC in some sort of forgettable monster movie that
was on the Viewer's Choice channel not too long ago too.  I believe
there was on in Robocop too.

The relatively high visibility of AT&T is probably no accident.  If
AT&T doesn't pay to get their computers into the flicks, I'd
imagnie that some marketing sharpie makes sure that some stuff gets
donated to the prop departments.  Additionally, the Unix PC does
have rather interesting styling, which for obvious reasons in a
movie.  I guess we can feel that our computers, like Studabaker to
cars, are just too ahead of their time to be appreciated by the
masses.  Prety neat, considering how long ago the Unix PC hit the
market.

--Bill