UUCP over a serial modem on the Unix-PC

Paul Orman peo at pinocchio.Encore.COM
Thu Mar 30 05:44:44 AEST 1989

Alright, I'll break down and ask: how can I get UUCP on my 3B1 to
access the modem on the serial port?  To the best of my knowledge
all the "/usr/lib/uucp" files have all the correct entries.  I
have the port setup as dialin/dialout through UA and the phone
manager works fine with either the OBM or the serial port.  I have
the standard setup (3.51 Unix) with a Multitech MT224EH on the serial
port.  Whenever I try debugging this by invoking uucico by hand
I always get the error logged "NO (DEVICE)".  There are no lock files
and the ACU tty000 entry is the first in the L-devices file (so it
always trys to use it but fails and then falls back to the OBM).  The
*only* thing I haven't tried (that I can think of) is useing UA to set
the port to dialout only.  So, what am I doing wrong or overlooking?

While I'm at it - I'm running smail and pathalias and would really
like to incorporate sendmail into this.  Do public domain sources
exist?  I haven't seen anything in any of the archives.

Any help greatly appreciated.
You can Email at work, or directly to my 3B1: encore!eofpeo!peo
Paul Orman - peo at encore.com            |  I don't know enough to speak for
ENCORE Computer Corporation            |  myself, let alone my employer.
Marlborough, MA (508) 460-0500     UUCP:  encore!peo [Who *really* needs this?]