3b2 Questions - Answers Appreciated

Paul_Heffner heff at flnexus.ATT.COM
Sat Mar 18 07:32:30 AEST 1989

>From article <8300010 at gistdev>, by flint at gistdev.UUCP:
>
> Yea, Magic Mode is a lot of fun, but it can save tons of time: what
> bugs me is why AT&T won't make it into something real and (heaven
> forbid) document it.

Because It's potentially a serious security hole. If your processor
isn't physically secure. (read: locked up in a room somewhere)
anybody with some smarts and some knowledge of magic mode can
do violence (or at least dubious things) to your system if so inclined.
THAT is why they allow you to change the firmware password and smart
SAs do just that...

>			If you want to mount things (like the hard
> disk you are trying to fix) you have to do something like this:

> fsys -m /tmp /dev/dsk/c1d0s0

> And to unmount it:

> fsys -u /dev/dsk/c1d0s0

Yeah, they're cryptic, allright, but if any yabbo could do it, then any
yabbo could crack your system easily. Try the 'set' command when you're in
the shell at M.Mode and you'll see lots of useful shell variables and
shell functions for the more necessary functions.

> Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.

Heff