AT&T 6300: the Wrong Choice

~XT6510300~Frank McGee~C23~M24~6326~ fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Sun Mar 26 09:48:40 AEST 1989

In article <7634 at killer.Dallas.TX.US> strianta at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Spiros Trianta) writes:
>Hats off to AT&T for its right choices regarding the AT&T 6300 PC (a PC
>compatible computer).
>In my two years of owning one I have experienced two memory board failures,
>each at approximately 13-14 months after purchase / repair. Same thing
>on one machine at work.
>The board not only dies, but starts giving indications of disk failure
>that are very scary, i.e. random disk seeks/resets on C:.

Is it the AT&T memory expansion board, or some clone memory board ?  This
is the first I've ever heard of anyone having this kind of trouble on a
6300, and I know well over several hundred users of 6300's.

>On top of that, whereas the replacement (SWAP, not new) board cost $120
>last year, it now jumped to $200. That is, $200 for a used board (that will
>statistically fail in another year or so).

No matter what you buy, the cost of maintaining it will go up from year
to year.  Doesn't matter if it's old cars or old pc's; the cost of
maintaining it will go up, and parts will be harder to get.

>For others: would you know of a different company that sells 384KB
>            memory boards that would work n a 63000? I'll see if I can
>            swap 64K chips for 256K chips, if anyone knows how, please
>	    drop a line.

AST sells a very nice one that's the same board we sell for the 6300.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support