AT&T 6300: the Wrong Choice

Spiros Trianta strianta at killer.Dallas.TX.US
Mon Mar 27 11:23:34 AEST 1989

In article <2652 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee at cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee) writes:
>In article <7634 at killer.Dallas.TX.US> strianta at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Spiros Trianta) writes:
>>Hats off to AT&T for its right choices regarding the AT&T 6300 PC (a PC
>>compatible computer).
>>In my two years of owning one I have experienced two memory board failures,
>>each at approximately 13-14 months after purchase / repair. Same thing
>>on one machine at work.
>>The board not only dies, but starts giving indications of disk failure
>>that are very scary, i.e. random disk seeks/resets on C:.
>
>Is it the AT&T memory expansion board, or some clone memory board ?  This
>is the first I've ever heard of anyone having this kind of trouble on a
>6300, and I know well over several hundred users of 6300's.

Even more news. I removed the memory board all together and it still
happens (it meaning random C: resets) but with less frequency. Last time
it also happened like that and eventually the disk errors stopped happening
and memory parity errors started, at which point we replaced the
384K board and all was well.

Now as I said it still happens, less frequently. So it could be something
OTHER than the memory board although as I said th frequency is much less.
A buddy at work suggests power supplies. Dip swictes are set properly
for 256KB on the motherboard...

As I said, Hats off to AT&T. I get the feeling that in addition to paying
big bucks for replacing whatever is gone haywire I'll be paying more
bucks at $90/hour for one of their technicians to FIND the bug in the first
place... And although I understand that spare part prices rise,
doubling in price is not what I have in mind for only a year.

When I bought the machine this is what it came with, others that bought
theirs at around the same time had 640K on the motherboard.

The right chouce? not for me. Maybe others have posted notes on 100
machines running fine for five years but MINE is not...

Anyone wanna buy it for parts?

Spiros

--
Who: Spiros Trianta         <>   Where: Noblesville, Indiana
How: strianta at killer.UUCP   <>   Why:   Nothing Else Interesting To Do