manuals for 3b1/7300 os 2.0

John Canning john at banzai.UUCP
Thu Mar 9 10:05:43 AEST 1989

In article <9463 at ihlpl.ATT.COM> reza0 at ihlpl.ATT.COM (H. Reza Zarafshar) writes:
>In article <1561 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, dinavahi at amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Suryaprasad G. Dinavahi) writes:
>>
>>      I have recently purchased a 3b1/7300 from Digital Data Systems.
.
.	It came without manuals...

>This is another example of a company trying to rip off its customers.  All
>unix pc's were and have always come with unix s/w.  You couldn't buy them
>from att unless you bought the software.
.
.

Unix is purchased separetely from the computer.  It is not a package deal.
While AT&T cut the prices drastically on the Unix PC, they left the
price of Unix at the list price.

What makes all this interesting, is that all Unix PC's have some version
of Unix loaded on to them.  Most of the machines have 2.0.  AT&T delivers
the Unix PC with this software loaded on to it without a license agreement
or any statement telling you that you must purchase an operating system.

Before the fire sale, as an AT&T VAR, we were always required to purchase
Unix at the same time that we purchased a Unix PC.  Once the fire sale
started, this policy went away.

DDS isn't really ripping anyone off.  They say you can have a Unix PC
with Unix 2.0 loaded on to it for $500.  For an extra $395, you can have
the latest operating system with manuals.  They are delivering to the
customer exactly what AT&T sold them in the first place.