New UNIXPC owners needs advice

Ken Staggers kes3200 at sjfc.UUCP
Fri Mar 17 07:54:36 AEST 1989

This week, our school got an AT&T UNIXpc with 2 mb of memory
and a 67meg hard drive.  We also have the pc expansion unit as
well.  Since this was donated from a company, we do not have
any manuals for it.  Can someone give me some info on this system?

What we have been trying to do is set it up as a multiuser system.
(How do you do this?  Is there a command to run a certain program?)
What should the other terminals be configured to?  9600baud?  parity?
We got 6 of them in the deal.  The software on the system includes:
AT&T Telephone 3.5
ATE 3.5
RS 232 Expansion 3.5
UNIX PC Curses / Terminfo
Encryption Set 3.5
Calendar 3.0
Tape Backup 1.0

We also have this UNISCRIPT and COMPUWORLD software packages that
seem to run and control everything except root.

We are planning to run an install program once we backup  the system
(did not come with any backup disks, but does the UNIX software already
come built in, or on disk?) on a tape drive (at least we have a manual for
that!).  SHould we be concerned about running install?  IT seems like that
is the only way we can set up a multiuser environment and set the time and
date as well.

Any info at all would be appreciative.  Please e-mail.

Also, are there any good system admin books on the market for this machine?
WHat about software on disks (how would you load and run it from our floppy
drive anyway).  And of course, magazines.

Thanks for the help!

--Ken Staggers
  (...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!sjfc!kes3200)