Hard disk testing stuff -- specifically badblocks

Bill Seymour billsey at agora.UUCP
Mon Mar 13 08:18:51 AEST 1989

>From article <11195 at s.ms.uky.edu:, by david at ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae):
: A question for the assembled masses, one which I don't know a proper
: newsgroup in which to post the question.
:
: Short version:  [Deleted]
: Long version:   [Mostly deleted]
:
: I have a hard disk which I'm trying to use on an Amiga 2000.  (It's one
: of those CDC Wren II's which the guy in Albany is selling).  I have an
: 2090A controllor board and the standard Amiga DOS software for PREP'ing
: and FORMAT'ing disks.  The problem is that during the format the
: machine hangs at Cyl 101 in a way which makes me think it's a bad
: block.

	You could laways find someone with one of the other SCSI controllers
for the Amiga that *does* have a real low-level formatting routine... I
know that the 2090 doesn't yet. Where you might run into problems is if
the Wren II has a different method for handling bad blocks than other
controllers... If the Wren II is compatible with one of the other supported
drives, you should be able to do a real clean format. I use the Supra on
my system, and there are about 20-30 drive/controller combos supported
with a very good low-level format routine.

: <-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david at ms.uky.edu:
: <-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET
: <-- Now I know how Zonker felt when he graduated ...
: <--          Stop!  Wait!  I didn't mean to!
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey