3b2, WINS 2.1 and NNTP

Rob Healey rhealey at ub.d.umn.edu
Tue Mar 7 14:03:31 AEST 1989

	Hello again. I've been trying to get NNTP to run properly under
	WINS TCP/IP 2.1 and SVR3.2. I've run into a VERY bizarre problem.

	First the background:

	NNTP is compiled to run under INETD, more exactly tcplisten, this
	means that tcplisten does all the nasty socket work and NNTP only
	has to deal with stdin, stdout and stderr. OK, now for the WEIRD
	part. NNTP connection is made by client wanting to post an article,
	NNTP forks, child execl's inews and posts article successfully. What
	the parent does is far from normal: It seems to have lost it's kid!

	The parent does a wait and immediatly returns with error 10, "No
	childred to wait on". Well, I put a 1 minute sleep in the child
	code, did a ps -efl and both nntpd and it's kid showed up with
	all the numbers, PID & PPID, correct. So, how is it that a parent
	can lose it's child in a wait when the child hasn't exited yet????
	Inquiring minds WANT to know... Is there some problem of kid ID
	getting lost when a parent or grandparent is disassociated from a tty?

	On other NNTP news, NNTP 1.5 to be exact, the server seems to feed
	remote rn's as long as they aren't other 3b2's, the problem with
	the 3b2's is that the client rrn dies with "socket operation attempted
	on non-socket". I need to get the posting/xfer side of NNTP working
	so it'll be a while before I tackle client rn's running on 3b2's.

	Could a person in the know enlighten me as to just how braindamaged
	WINS 2.1's socket implementation is? Under 1.1 I got a client bind
	nameserver library to work, under 2.1, barf-o-rama. Am I wasting my
	time trying to get all this network code to work???

			Frustrated with 2.1,

			   -Rob Healey

			   rhealey at ub.d.umn.edu