UNIXPC in the movies!

James D. Corder isolated at alix.UUCP
Mon Mar 27 08:42:23 AEST 1989

In article <545 at argon.UUCP> ebh at argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:
>In article <4531 at vpk4.UUCP> hjespers at attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) writes:
>>Apparantly AT&T has an agreement/contract with most of the major
>>movie studios to use AT&T telephone and computer equipment in their shows.
>
>While this may be amusing the first thousand or so times you see it, I
>have to wonder what the actual benefit of this really is.  I mean,
>sure, *we* all recognize AT&T equipment, but is there really some exec
>someplace springing out of his easy chair, shouting, "THAT'S IT!  Now
>I know what PBX to buy!!!" after seeing a Merlin set on Maddie's desk?
>...-Ed

	I think AT&T is much wiser than you believe.  I agree that an exec.
wouldn't purchase AT&T equipment just because s/he saw it in a movie.  However,
since the exec. saw it in a movie or on a TV show when the sales rep. stops
in the exec is more aware of the product.  Therefore, making the sale all
the more easer.  Therefore, more sales.  Therefore, more profit.  Therefore,
happy stock holders:-)

	Does it work?  Well, you saw it.  Do you own an AT&T machine?  I do.
Did I purchase it because of it being in Remington Steele?  No!  Did it have
an effect on me?  Who knows?

I like seeing AT&T equipment in the movies,
James D. Corder
  ...osu-cis!alix!jdc

ps:	What happens when one flashes "Eat More Popcorn" in one frame of
	a film?  Other than going to jail?

	Now try "Look at AT&T Equipment" in a small scean!  And it's legal too!