3B1 external Modem configuration

Ron Wilson rlw at ttardis.UUCP
Thu Apr 12 14:19:03 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr11.142201.5357 at DRD.Com>, mark at DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) writes:
>I recently acquired a hayes compatible 2400 bps modem that I'd like to
>attach to my 3b1 to be used as both callup/dialout.  I logged in as
>install, selected administration and set up the RS-232 port as directed
>in the users's manual.
>I assume (maybe incorrectly) that /dev/tty000 is the rs232 port.  I
>don't understand the /dev/ph0 and /dev/ph1 in etc, though.  Which one is
>the internal (OBM -- OnBoardModem?) modem?

tty000 is the builtin RS-232 port. ph0 and ph1 can both access the modem;
they can also both access the voice telephone circuitry in the Unix-PC.  By
convention, ph0 is used for the voice phone line and ph1 for the modem line.

>The result of this setup was that I couldn't figure out out to get to
>the newly connected external modem to dial out.  I tried every variation
>dialups.  Does this setup only handle callup and not dialout?
>--
> mark at DRD.Com {uunet,rutgers}!drd!mark (918)743-3013

The system call handle both in and out going calls through BOTH the internal
modem and the RS-232 ports.

Since you are already familier with using the install account menus, the
easiest thing might be to use the menus to set up tty000 as out going only,
then from the shell prompt, type:

	setgetty 000 1

You will then have the builtin RS-232 port set to handle BOTH incoming AND
out going calls.  tty001 is 001, ...; and ph1 is ph1.

FYI: the L-devices file will have:

OBM ph1 UNIXPC 1200
OBM ph1 UNIXPC 300
ACU tty000 hayes 2400