3B1 external Modem configuration

Mark Lawrence mark at DRD.Com
Thu Apr 12 00:22:01 AEST 1990

I recently acquired a hayes compatible 2400 bps modem that I'd like to
attach to my 3b1 to be used as both callup/dialout.  I logged in as
install, selected administration and set up the RS-232 port as directed
in the users's manual.

I'm an ex Sun system administrator, so I know a little about the old-style
UUCP files and so examined them afterwords.  I was surprised to find that
Devices and L-devices get DIFFERENT stuff.  Systems, I notice, is a link
to L.sys.

I assume (maybe incorrectly) that /dev/tty000 is the rs232 port.  I
don't understand the /dev/ph0 and /dev/ph1 in etc, though.  Which one is
the internal (OBM -- OnBoardModem?) modem?

The result of this setup was that I couldn't figure out out to get to
the newly connected external modem to dial out.  I tried every variation
I could think of with the -l switch to cu to figure out if I could just
get directly connected to the modem so that I could do "at" and see that
it was alive.  While futzing around with the phone line connected to the
newly installed modem, a system called up and it looked like (from the
Rx/Tx lights on the modem) that a login invitation was given, so I
suspect that a getty actually was active on the port watching for
dialups.  Does this setup only handle callup and not dialout?

I'd dial in and get the contents of the /usr/lib/uucp/* files to explain
things but the internal modem isn't answering when I call from work {-:.
I think I might have really messed things up.

Is there anybody out there who's dealt with both pre-HoneyDanBer type
uucp and knows the technical details of the 3b1 files that would be
willing to engage in e-mail dialogue with me about this?  Please e-mail
me at work (mark at drd.com or ...uunet!apctrc!drd!mark).  Thanks
--
 mark at DRD.Com {uunet,rutgers}!drd!mark (918)743-3013
 "...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly..." Micah 6:8