6386 memory question -- 384k - I want it!

david at cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu david at cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu
Fri Apr 13 14:47:07 AEST 1990

I have many AT&T 6386 20Mhz PC's (Olivetti) with MS DOS 3.3 and most of them have
one Meg of memory.  I know 640k is allotted for DOS, and the 384k between
the 640 and 1024 is marked as "dedicated."  This drives me nuts!  I just bought
QEMM's 386 memory manager, wanting to use one of its features to load TSR's
and device drivers into "hi memory"  This being that mysterious 384k.
The problem is these AT&T's ROM appear to not allow ANY use of the 384k.
I have heard mixed opinions of what he 384 is being used for, but I don't
want it to do what it is doing.  I want it!  I need to be able to load
TSR's and possibly drivers into this 384k.  Can anyone offer any suggestions,
or is this just impossible?
I have a hand full of machines with >>1 Meg.  If anyone can recommend a
program to load TSR's and possibly drivers into the memory above 1024k,
I would also appreciate the suggestions.  My Qemm program doesn't appear to
have this capability, just the load into 384 option.

					Thank you for any assistance
					you can offer!!!

						Dave
--
david at po.cwru.edu            *  Eagle  *      David Nerenberg
                            * Computers *     Information Network Services