cc / cpp problem on 3B2 600G ( 3.2.2 ) -- too many defines

Kevin Darcy kevin at cfctech.cfc.com
Wed Aug 8 10:33:16 AEST 1990

In article <12157 at attcan.UUCP> ram at attcan.UUCP (Richard Meesters) writes:
>In article <8953 at arctic.nprdc.arpa>, apple at nprdc.navy.mil (Jim Apple) writes:
>>
>> 	I have run into a problem with cpp on a 600G ( 3.2.2 )
>> 	"too many defines".   I created some test files and it appears
>> 	that there is a hard limit on the number of defines.  The size of
>> 	both the name and value affect the number of defines that I can
>> 	get.  Simple names and a value of 1 gives me around 1980 defines
>> 	if I change the value to a string I'm down to 1200.
>

>I also ran into this problem compiling, of all things, nethack sources.

(Side note: that's why the STUPID_CPP option exists in NetHack).

Actually, the "hard limit" you're running into is *only* on total symbol name
space if you're getting "Too much defining." (which is what NetHack has
trouble with on a 3B2). Richard was running into the hard limit on *number*
of defines. Two slightly separate but interrelated problems.

>There
>is, however a fix, which should be available to you by calling the AT&T Support
>Hotline (NSSC) at 1-800-245-2480.

Er, this isn't the normal number U.S. AT&T customers use for the NSSC in New
Jersey (1-800-922-0354).

Or is that number the one for Lisle? As an AT&T person, you may be able to
call Lisle directly on problems, but I've found that Lisle will rarely talk
to mere mortals unless they already have an escalated ticket from New Jersey.

>The cause/symptom is as follows:
>
>Symptom: too many defines
>
>Cause: the number of #defines exceed the symbol table size:
>        STATIC  struct symtab stab[ symsiz ];
>
>The fix is a new cpp which contains an increased symsiz to handle a larger
>number of defines.
>
>Unfortunately, unless you have source, you can't change it yourself.

No, but fortunately there are public domain alternatives to AT&T's cpp. Ones
that malloc() instead of of using static arrays, for example.

Richard, if you can't beat a real cpp out of Lisle, drop me a line, and I'll
arrange to send you a decent PD cpp.

kevin at cfctech.cfc.com 		  | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...sharkey!cfctech!kevin          | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		  | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		  | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034